Monday, November 24, 2008

I want Candy!


We are having a candy bar at our wedding because my fiance is a huge candy freak, specifically m&m's. I ordered some bags from http://www.papermart.com/ (read review here) and they definitely needed to be beautified. The above picture is the end result--and I am so proud, I'm becoming crafty!!



INSTRUCTIONS

SUPPLIES
  • Paper Bags
  • Paper Cutter
  • Border Punch
  • Stamp Pigment Ink
  • Embossing Powder
  • Embossing Tool
    Tiny paintbrush (only required if you're a OCD perfectionist)
  1. I cut off about an inch from the top of the bag to get rid of the ugly number 2, using the paper cutter.
  2. Next, I used a border punch to add some interest to edge of the bags. I used the border punch pictured below by Fiskars from Michael's. I hate, hate, hate this thing! It broke very shortly after using and I had to reassemble it myself multiple times (it's missing a piece in the pic above). On the positive side, it is easy to line the paper up and get straight cuts.
  3. Next up is stamping. I used my logo stamp and black pigment ink. It's important to make sure you use pigment ink because dye-based ink dries too quickly for embossing. I had a really difficult time getting the stamp perfectly even and accurate throughout the logo, so I ended up using a tiny paintbrush dipped in the ink to perfect the stamped design. But as you can see below, many of the bags were beyond repair.
  4. Pour embossing powder on the stamped bag. I used clear powder, because even if a few sprinkles are left on the bag no one will know because they dry clear. Be sure to pour a lot of powder, think heaping mounds like the picture below. TIP: let the powder sit for a few minutes before dusting off the excess.
  5. Pour the remaining/excess powder onto the next bag or back into the container.
  6. Using your embossing tool, heat and melt the powder on the bag. It's really easy to tell when it's finished, the design will be shiny and raised.

That's it! You've embossed some gorgeous candy bar bags!


REVIEW
Cost: Ultra cheap!
Difficulty: Medium, there is definitely a learning curve
Time: a lot, but not as much as you think! I averaged about 15 minutes for 10 bags. My advice is to break it up into groups of 10 and do a little at a time.
Have you used embossing for any of you wedding techniques? What sort of bag/container are you using for your candy bar?

No comments: