Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Holy Sticker Shock!

After I posted about my centerpiece ideas yesterday, I got excited and started to do some pricing research on the green cymbidium orchids I envisioned using. Well, I was shocked…shocked, I tell you.

At about $15-$25 a stem, they were too pricy for me. According to the pictures I posted yesterday, I would need at least 2 stems per centerpiece (each stem has 6 blooms) depending on the size of the vase.

19 tables x $15 a stem x 2 stems per table = $570 = too much for me.

I was really disappointed because I spent over a year searching ruthlessly for centerpieces. I looked at candles, but that made Mr. Inartistic very nervous—he had visions of the entire reception venue going up in flames. I even considered using these fabulous feather centerpieces. But it didn’t feel right. I knew I wanted these crystal wedding trees on my tall boy tables and even though I’m not a flower person, some flowers at the reception are necessary. So I decided on the submerged cymbidium orchids idea.

Not wanting to give up on my ideal centerpiece and months of research, I went searching for alternatives.

I remembered that my fiancĂ©’s dad’s best friend sells very high end silk and latex flowers to florists, gift shops and interior designers. I gave him a call and much to my delight he had green latex cymbidium orchids available for wholesale B2B costs!

I was extremely concerned about the tacky/cheap factor; so I had my mother’s friend, a retired florist, come with me to examine the flowers. We were extremely pleased with the quality. They are latex and the perfect color and size. Plus, every single bloom on the stem will be perfectly full and beautiful.

The price for one stem is about $17, and it includes several blooms (I forgot to count and take pictures….I know…bad blogger!). So, for about $700 I was able to get 42 stems. I know, I know…this is more than the aforementioned cost to have real cymbidium orchids. But here are the reasons I decided to go with the latex flowers:

  • These can be assembled early. My mother’s friend generously offered to arrange them in the vases for me.
  • They will look good throughout the day, from what I understand real orchids are very fragile.
  • One word: ebay! I am hoping to resell them after the wedding and recoup some of the costs.
  • No one will know they aren’t real because they will be submerged—i.e., they can’t be touched!

Plus, I did actually order several extras, so I can use them for other potential DIY/decor projects.

I won’t receive them until January 2009, so I’ll post a review and more information then.

Has anyone else considered using faux flowers?

No comments: