Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Inartistic Ready and Labeled


I've completed another DIY project, this time the previously mentioned wrap-around labels from Martha. All in all, it was kinda simple, but slightly expensive.

The first step is to design your labels (I used Microsoft Publisher). For the return address the font is Feel Script by Veer and the address font is Arial. I chose these because I love Feel Script and I thought the simplicity of Arial looked good next to the Christmas Tree picture. I found the Christmas Tree picture on google images (can't remember where it's from). It was originally black, but I changed it to white.


The measurements of the label are 2 inches by 6.5 inches (it's for a 4x6 envelope). You can set the size of the label by going to File, Page Setup and Layout. Then selecting Custom and entering your dimensions. You can also select the number of labels to print on each page, I did four.

The next step is to do a mail merge. Simply go to Tools, Mail and Merge Catalog Wizard and follow the instructions.

Now, you're ready to print. I used the Avery 5353 labels from Staples. They are pricey at $34.99 for 100 sheets. It is basically an 8 1/2 x 11 sticker, so you design your label and then print it on the sheet and cut it out yourself. I was very happy with these labels, they even have the perforated back to make peeling easier.

I don't have a nice printer, so I took mine to a local print shop and had them do the dirty work (which explains my lack of photos--I didn't want them to think I was crazy!). They printed all 100 labels and even cut them out for me for only $16. I know, I'm lazy, but after completing another cost-time-laziness analysis, I decided it was worth it. Plus, since the professionals were doing all the grunt work, every single label was perfect!



Here's a DI-Don't for you:
Don't buy these labels. I bought these online because they were the right dimensions and cheaper, but I didn't completely read the description. Since they were designed to be used with a postage meter machine, Avery does not provide a template. Also, they are not on a standard size piece of paper which makes printing nearly impossible.

REVIEW

COST: Slightly expensive for the labels

TIME: Medium, the main time is spent designing the labels

DIFFICULTY: Medium, you gotta have some computer skills for this one

Has anyone else tried this Good Things? Or have you found another creative way to use labels?


P.S. If you want my template or want me to help you (for free), leave a comment!

No comments: