Friday, October 24, 2008

I'm having a buffet reception.

There. I said it.

We're having the same amount of food as a sit-down dinner, just more selection and in a different format. Some of the food will be set up as live stations and some will be in a traditional buffet.
In the Southern city I call home, sit-down dinners are extremely rare at weddings. I've only been to one in my life and I've been to my fair share of fancy expensive weddings. I was actually very surprised when I heard that most brides do a sit-down dinner.
Why is this? I think it has a lot to do with the Southern culture. First, Southerners want to invite everyone and their mother (literally) to the wedding, so a buffet meal makes more financial sense. Southerners are extremely social and want to "visit" with everyone and buffet style offers the freedom to do that. Lastly, the South is a little more casual than the rest of the country and a buffet dinner fits right in down here.
Does anyone else want to hop in the buffet line with me?

No comments: